Monday, August 3, 2009

The Magic Closet


In their first apartment together, my brother and sister-in-law had what they referred to as a magic closet; it was big, deep and lined with shelves from floor to ceiling. It was magical because inevitably when you put something in it and closed the door that item disappeared and in its place you inexplicably found something you hadn’t seen in, well, years. When they moved, I was in charge of packing up that closet and I was sure that games and appliances were materializing out of nowhere…it seemed as if for every box I filled more things awaited me on those shelves.

That closet always intrigued me, and lately I have been asking myself, when we meditate or simply sit quietly with our thoughts, what is it that we create when we go inside, when we really listen? Our minds are similar to the magic closet in that we often times store away ideas, feelings and memories and pull out things we didn’t know existed within us, which can be both exciting and disconcerting. Whether we recognize it right away or not, the excavation is almost always an opportunity for growth. Take time to sit down with yourself every day. You may be surprised at what you find way back in your internal corners! Explore, experiment, create!

No comments:

Post a Comment