Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Catching Up...

The Joy Diet’s Chapter One: Nothing and Chapter Two: Truth

I’m home, enjoying a bit of vacation time, and finally able to post! For the last few weeks I have been part of a group that is working through “The Joy Diet” and while I have been carving out the time necessary for the book, my posts have been non-existent! Time to remedy that…

When you begin to actually let yourself do it, there’s something magical about carving out a bit of time that is yours and yours alone. In fact, I think there’s something that borders on miraculous about doing nothing if only for a few moments every day even if it is the hardest thing ever! This week has really shown me the importance of doing nothing which is funny because I have been practicing yoga for just about eleven years now and teaching for about 18 months. I know all about the benefits of meditation so there should be no excuses. So why, I wonder, has there been so much resistance? Frankly, confronting that “final frontier” of the mind is just plain old scary. There’s a lot of rumbling going on—a storm of a magnitude that is difficult to confront and sit comfortably with. Doing nothing puts you fully in touch with the shadow side of yourself and that can be a bit unsettling!

In order to find our truth (chapter 2) we are to ask ourselves the questions: What am I feeling? What hurts? What is the painful story I’m telling? Can I be sure my painful story is true? Is my painful story working? Can I think of another story that might work better? Just like doing nothing, digging deeper and exploring our “inner self” is uncomfortable work, but if we are going to unearth who we really are at our core we have to sort through the stories we tell ourselves about who we are. It’s hard, but so worth it! Just think of all the unnecessary garbage we can rid ourselves of!

No comments:

Post a Comment